Saturday 27 October 2012

Dunorlan Park trip


It was raining fairly heavily, but that didn't stop me noticing the lake birds at Dunorlan.
There are lots of tame ducks there, including several varieties of Mallard (Cayuga, Aylesbury, 'white-throat') and an odd whitish grey Egyptian Goose-type bird, with a bright red wattle around the eye. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos.
There were also an unusual number of Greylags, two large flocks (one on the lake and one in a nearby field) with I assume are on a southward migration - I doubt they will stay long. I noticed this 'phenomenon' last year as well.
The male Mallards in the pond by the bridge were behaving oddly too - dipping heads in the water, breaking out into a chorus of whistling and flapping, etc etc...I assume they were displaying to the few females. A bit early...?



Bird list:

Mallard
Greylag Goose
Pied Wagtail
Grey Heron
Black-headed Gull

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rose,
    I have left a comment already, but I forgot to give you my blog address. It is:
    http://102thingstodowithrubbish.blogspot.com/
    For my third idea (visit my blog to see what I mean) I am going to make a bird feeder. I am going to make a blog page recording all birds that are seen on the feeder.

    ReplyDelete